Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Rose For Emily - Blog #2

"Miss Emily met them at the door, dressed as usual and with no trace of grief on her face.  She told them that her father was not dead.  She did that for three days, with the ministers calling on her, and the doctors, trying to persuade her to let them dispose of the body." - William Faulkner.

The biggest question I had at the end of this short story was why on earth Miss Emily would kill Homer Barron, keep him in her house, and sleep with him at night.  I think the answer lies within the story itself.  The one example and reasoning I could find was in the quote above.  After her father died, Miss Emily had a hard time coping with the fact that she was all alone.  This shows that she has problems letting go of things.  When Homer Barron didn't want to marry her and was about to leave her, she probably freaked, not wanting to let go and be alone again.  She then resorted to killing the man.  As I stated in the previous blog, I felt bad for her throughout the entire story.  I have no idea what it would be like to be completely alone and so I felt sypathetic for her.  Once I found out that she killed the man, I lost all sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment