Thursday, December 8, 2011

You're Ugly, Too

"'Just kidding,' she said. 'I was just kidding.'  But he gazed at her, appalled and frightened, his Magic Marker buttocks turned away now toward all of downtown...'Really, I was just kidding!'" - Lorrie Moore.

It may seem a little harsh, but I do not really have any sympathy for Zoe (Sorry, but I have no idea how to spell her name with the accent mark above the e.).  She thinks she is being funny and intellectual, but I feel like she is just being overly sarcastic and a little rude.  For example, she tells her students that her opinion is the only one that matters in the classroom.  I agree to some extent that maybe she does have a little more intelligence, but I feel like she should be more open to others' opinions.  Also, when talking to Earl, she tells silly stories that would be complete turn-offs to any person.  All in all, she is just a very awkward person.  If she wants to hold any sort of relationship, she needs to stop being so sarcastic, be open to others' opinions and ideas, and most of all, stop being such a creep when talking to men.  The quote above shows how her jokes are only funny to some extent.  At some point, they become annoying and people become totally irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment