Thursday, January 26, 2012

Othello Act I, Scene iii

"She loved me for the dangers I had passed, and I loved her that she did pity them.  This only is the witchcraft I have used." - Othello.

The one thing I am a bit uncertain about is whether or not Desdemona truly loves Othello.  The quote above is proof given by Othello, himself, that Desdemona fell in love with him because of the stories he told about his adventures.  I wonder if she is not merely in love with the idea of being caught up in great adventures like the ones Othello has engaged in instead of being in love with Othello, himself.  She could very well love the stories he told and not him.  Additionally, Desdemona's father warned Othello that since she deceived him, she could very well deceive Othello, too.  This seems like foreshadowing to me.  On the other hand, she was very concerned about the welfare of Othello when his ship was caught out at sea.  That fear for his life seemed very real so maybe she love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment