Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas

I found this poem to be very interesting.  The speaker is telling the reader and elderly people in particular to fight against and resist death.  The shocking thing the reader finds out at the end of the poem is that the speaker's father is on his death bed.  At first I didn't agree with the speaker at all.  I felt like death was a very natural thing and fighting against it was not a good idea.  I felt that death was inevitable and since everyone is going to die, resisting against it would be useless.  Then, after I realized that the main reason for this poem was for the speaker to convince his father to fight death, I agreed more with the speaker and felt more sympathy for him.  If I was in the same position, I would want my father to try and fight death (If he was not in pain, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment