Thursday, July 7, 2011

And the End...

"Through an archway on the further side of the room they could see the bottom of the staircase that led up to the higher floors.  Just under the crown of the arch dangled a pair of feet." - Brave New World, page 259.


Wow!! What an ending.  I have to say, though, I sort of saw it coming.  Anyway, it is truly sad that John felt that he couldn't escape the curious people from the civilized world and also his own sexual thoughts.  It is sad that the only way he felt he could escape everything was by killing himself.  The way Huxley described the suicide was unique as well.  He described how John's feet were dangling like a compass needle from north, east, south, and west.  This is a bit like the life John led.  He was in a way always lost, unable to find the right path that suited him.  Wherever he went, he faced challenges and eventually attempted to get away.  Examples include his original home on the Reservation, his relationship with Lenina, his home in the Fordian world, and finally life altogether.  Like the compass, he was shifting his direction everywhere he went and the saddest part is that he was unable to find the path for him.


Now, how exactly did I feel about this book?  Generally speaking, I thought it was a very interesting novel that sort of opened my eyes.  I realize that our world is indeed searching for perfection.  We are taking science to the next level everyday and I guess it's possible that we could end up like this Fordian civilization Huxley describes, but I find it very unlikely.  Most of all, I learned from this novel the importance of family and the importance of living the life you want.  Family was something unheard of in this Fordian civilization and no one had the great opportunity to have people who truly loved them.  People were also predestined to a certain job, caste, and lifestyle.  I certainly wouldn't want someone else determining my life for me and I am grateful that in the United States everyone has equal opportunities.  This book was great to read and had so many lessons to be learned.  I hope you found it as eye-opening as I did!

1 comment:

  1. Kennedy,

    Your entries show a sincere and meaningful thought process as you read, which is important. I had trouble noticing when you were analyzing specific literary terms. Be sure to follow the guidelines (summer packet) as it pertains to literary term labelling as you tackle Never Let Me Go.

    ReplyDelete