Thursday, July 7, 2011

John's Final Realization

"The Savage nodded. 'I ate civilization.' 'What?' 'It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then,' he added, in a lower tone, 'I ate my own wickedness'" - Brave New World, page 241.


This statement from John is sort of like his final realization and him admitting to himself that he could not fit in with the people of the this civilization.  I believe this is also the final realization for the reader as well.  Throught the entire book, the reader found it incredibly difficult to appeal in any way to this new world.  The only person I felt I could appeal to was John.  This is mostly due to the fact that he in the end is realizing that he cannot live like this.  This new world is totally wrong and he let it get the best of him.  John, and the reader as well, realized that living with imperfections in a regular world is better than living with the perfections that came with a utopian world.  I most certainly realize this also.  John is now chosing to "purify" himself (Althought chosing to drink mustard and warm water is an odd way of doing it.).  Instead of trying to help the others living in this civilization, which was the cause of the riot in the first place, he is chosing to help himself, in the name of his mother Linda.

1 comment: