Thursday, July 7, 2011

Infatuation Turned to Love

     An hour later, in the Changing Room, Fanny was energetically protesting.  "But it's absurd to let yourself get into a state like this.  Simply absurd," she repeated "And what about?  A man-one man."
   "But he's the one I want." - Brave New World, page 187


The ironic thing I feel about this excerpt and chapter in general is the fact that Lenina is showing signs of having more than the regular signs of infatuation for a man usually expressed and no one seems to pay any mind.  Lenina seems to have greater feelings for John that could possibly turn into love.  Why else would she be so persistent on having John and no one else?  Henry tries to ask her out one night and she completely blows him off.  I truly wish I knew why people like Henry and her friend Fanny couldn't see that she might actually be falling in love with someone.

At the end of this chapter, things started to get really weird.  Lenina brought out a side of John that we had never really seen before.  He became violent and aggressive and even told her, "get out of my sight or I'll kill you."  Since John is showing signs of being aggressive now, I believe it will only get worse, especially considering the fact that the ways and thinkings of this new world will only start to irritate him even more.  I guess I should've expected something like this to happen especially after the story he told Bernard back at the Reservation of how he tried to kill Popé

No comments:

Post a Comment