Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Convergence of the Twain

"Till the Spinner of the Years 
Said 'Now!' And each one hears,
And consummation comes, and jars two hemispheres." - Thomas Hardy

In order for me to be able to identify the central purpose of this poem, I had to reread it at least three times.  Hopefully, I am now fully aware or almost fully aware of the point Thomas Hardy was trying to make.  It was not until the last stanza when I realized that the purpose of this poem is to suggest that it was God's will to sink the Titanic.  "The Spinner of the Years" most certainly means God himself for He is the creator of all things, even time.  Once I figured this out, I went  back through the poem to try and find another example.  The other example I found was when it said, "No mortal eye could see The intimate welding of their later history."  Here Thomas Hardy is saying that no living, mortal person would be able to know that the Titanic was going to hit an ice burg and sink, but it does seem to insinuate that an immortal being might be able to know.  This immortal being would be God.  Once I realized that the central purpose of this poem was to show that the sinking of the Titanic was God's will, I wondered, "Why?"  I realized that the answer to this question was also given throughout the poem itself.  Hardy writes of "the Pride of Life" that was amongst the vessel and the "Jewels in joy designed."  God's reason for sinking the, as most people call it, "unsinkable ship" was probably because of the immense egos and materialism aboard this ship.  Although this poem's central purpose is most certainly to show that God sank the Titanic, I do not believe it is entirely true.  For starters, God can punish us, but I do not think that he is so cruel to kill so many people in such a horrific manner.  Maybe some of these people were asking for it, living incredibly lustful lives, but I am not sure God is the cause for the destruction of this amazing vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment