Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hazel Tells Laverne

"so i goes ta flushm down
but sohelpmegod he starts talkin
bout a golden ball
an how i can be a princess"
- Katharyn Machan


This is definitely my favorite poem out of all those we have read so far.  I just find it so darn cute!  The first thing I noticed about the poem, though, was the vernacular in which it was written.  The speaker seems more southern than anything else.  This helps to set the tone of a free-spirited, easy-going girl who freaks upon the request of a kiss from a frog.  Honestly, I think I would have reacted in the same way if I was put in the same situation.  The second thing I noticed right away from this poem is how it could be connected to the relatively new movie The Princess and the Frog.  This movie was also southern as it was set in the city of New Orleans, Louisiana.  In the same way the speaker reacts to the request from the frog in the poem, the princess in the movie is hesitant to kiss the frog.  Although the princess did not flush the frog down a toilet, the connection can still be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment