Wednesday, September 14, 2011

February

"February, month of despair,
with a skewered heart in the centre." - Margaret Atwood

Knowing the title and before actually reading, I felt some bitterness towards the poem immediately.  I will not be hesitant to state that winter is my least favorite season of the year.  I hate being stuck inside feeling freezing while passing the time daydreaming and impatiently waiting for spring and summer to arrive.  It is from these feelings that I was a little reluctant, I must admit, to begin reading this poem with an open mind.  I was a little shocked when I read the poem, though, because the tone seemed to be of despair, death, and disillusionment.  I was also very impressed with myself for catching a tiny little detail which is that the poem itself starts with the word "winter" and ends with the word "spring."  To me, this seemed like the speaker's own wishful thinking that winter would leave and spring would come.  I felt a great connection between the speaker and myself at that very moment.  Winter seems to be a most depressing time because it is usually associated with "slumber" and "death."  For example, plants and flowers die and wither away while rivers and lakes freeze and cease to move.  Spring, on the other hand, is associated with ‘rebirth’ & ‘life’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment