Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting Out

"Finally locked into blame, we paced that short hall, heaving words like furniture." - Cleopatra Mathis


I don't know why I feel so sad when I read about divorce, but it's poems like these that make me very grateful that my parents are still married.  I guess it's just that feeling inside of what would happen to me if my parents separated?  The whole situation seems terrible and I can't even imagine what it would be like to go through something like that.  Anyway, one literary technique I discovered in this poem is a simile in the quote above.  The simile helps to set the tone because it shows how the couple fought a lot and with cruel words.  The words were so heavy in that they attacked the other person almost as if in the same way as throwing a piece of furniture.  The thing I wondered about was in the last four lines when it talks of how they cried when they finally signed the divorce papers.  The poem also depicts the couple holding hands until they finally let go and went their separate ways.  Maybe the two people really did love each other.  Maybe, with time, they could have worked their problems out and hearts could have been saved from being broken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment