Thursday, August 11, 2011

Drama In The Churchyard

It wasn't that I thought I'd burst into tears or lose my temper or anything like that.  But I decided just to turn and go.  Even later that day, I realised this was a bad mistake.  All I can say is that at the time what I feared more than anything was that one or the other of them would stalk off first, and I'd be left with the remaining one. - Never Let Me Go, page 195.

When I read this part of the novel I couldn't quite understand why Kathy had done what she did.  Stalking off solved nothing and actually I think it only created more problems, making it seem as though she was somehow angry with the both of them.  It created a rift between their friendship which she explains doesn't totally get solved.  She tried to explain herself by saying she was afraid of being left with the other person if one of them walked away before her but this seems like a bad excuse for what she did.  I honestly think she was too embarrassed by what she had done that she just didn't want to deal with the consequences of her actions.  She should have stood up for Tommy because she knew deep down that his drawing were good and I know she would have told him otherwise if she felt differently.  She was just trying to make herself look good in front of Ruth.  Kathy was put in an awkward situation when Ruth confronted her about how she got her tape.  She was only trying to keep their friendship alive when she laughed with Ruth about Tommy's drawings, but I think that she should have stood up for Tommy in the churchyard, especially since Tommy has never done anything cruel to her like this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment