Thursday, August 11, 2011

External Conflict

"She watched me carefully, then did a laugh, as though to say: 'We're still friends, aren't we?'  But I didn't find anything to laugh about in this last remark of hers.  I just picked up my book and walked off without another word." - Never Let Me Go, page 125.

This quote from the novel is a good example of an external conflict.  It also is a good example of Ruth and Kathy's friendship being put to the test.  It almost seems like the two are always trying to "one up" the other.  Honestly, I think that both parties are at fault here.  Kathy started the whole arguement when she told Ruth it looked daft the way she copied what Chrissie and Rodney were always doing.  Then, being Ruth's personality, she came back hard.  She became defensive and when given the right opportunity, began to attack Kathy.  The thing is, though, Ruth and Kathy have been friends for so long.  I don't think this argument will come between them too much.  Hopefully, they will put everything behind them.  I already know that later they will stay friends since Kathy becomes Ruth's carer and so this arguement shouldn't break their friendship too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment