Thursday, August 11, 2011

Never Let Me Go - The Title

"What made the tape so special for me was this one particular song: track number three, "Never Let Me Go." - Never Let Me Go, page 70.

I love it when I figure out why the author has named the book!!!  Anyway, in chapter six, Madame runs away crying after seeing Kathy dancing to the song Never Let Me Go.  I was a bit confused by why Madame would find this sad especially since it was obvious Kathy was enjoying herself and didn't have the least bit of saddness in her.  Later in the chapter, Kathy tried to explain that it was probably because the children at Hailsham could not have children so Madame thought it was awful to see a child pretending to have an imaginary child while singing "Never Let Me Go" to it.  Although this is a good explanation, I do not believe it is the real reason for Madame acting as she did.  There was no way for Madame to know that that was what Kathy was thinking especially since the context of the song had nothing to do with telling a real baby to never let the mother go.  This part of the book is very important and I think it will come up again later in the novel.  I will be looking out for more reasons to why Madame acted as she did and hopefully I will get the real answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment