Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rage And The End!!

"The moon wasn't quite full, but it was bright enough, and I could make out in the mid-distance, near where the field began to fall away, Tommy's figure, raging, shouting, flinging his fists and kicking out." - Never Let Me Go, page 274.

This part of the book was so sad and when I watched the movie it actually made me want to cry!  It was like the breaking point.  How could the world be so cruel to these "creatures," as Madame called them.  It just seemed so unfair.  Tommy had been able to handle himself and control his anger for years and now, it all just came flowing out.  The love between these two was so strong and Tommy knew that it was all going to end soon because he was going to die.  Hopefully our world never comes to this, to where people are created just for the sake of saving others and donating their vital organs.  It would just be horrible.  How could anyone justify the killing of one person in order to save another?  That is the choice of God and acting as God is a sin.

"I half-closed my eyes and imagined...and if I waited long enough, a tiny figure would appear on the horizon across the field, and gradually get larger until I'd see it was Tommy, and he'd wave, maybe even call." - Never Let Me Go, page 287.

Now I would like to take time discussing my reaction to the end of the novel.  I can with full certainty say that I liked this book a lot more than Brave New World.  I found it more relatable and it was much more interesting.  It captured my attention from the very beginning.  Like I said before, I hope our world doesn't find itself in the same situation as this one.  Although it is wonderful that they tried to find a way to cure all the diseases and illness that kill people, I think they went about it the wrong way.  It is better to find a cure with medicine and other things like that than to use people's bodies for donations all the while knowing it will kill that person.  When I read the last paragraph of the book, I was filled with saddness because it showed how affected by everything Kathy felt.  She lost both people she loved.  The world created a situation where these people were forced to live a life they did not want.  I just can't imagine how they felt, giving up their own lives to save others and wondering if it was really all worth it.

1 comment: