Monday, August 8, 2011

Flashbacks

"On the particular afternoon I'm now thinking of, we were standing up on stools and benches, crowding around the high windows." - Never Let Me Go, page 7.


Along with noticing the point of view this novel was written in, I noticed immediately Ishiguro's use of flashbacks.  In fact, probably over half of this book is composed of flashbacks.  I personally liked reading these because I was able to get to know Kathy and her friends much deeper than I would have without them.  I was able to get to know the characters through their entire lives starting from their childhood.  I believe this was the purpose in using so many flashbacks.  Ishiguro wanted to start his story from the end.  The problem with this, though, is that the reader would be unable to deeply get to know each character.  The use of so many flashbacks was his way in helping the reader become more personal with each character.

No comments:

Post a Comment