Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein - Allusion

"Remember, that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed." - The Creature, page 69.

The quote I have used above is an excellent example of an allusion.  What the Creature means is that he is like Adam and Victor is like God.  Just as God created mankind, Victor created the Creature.  I find this allusion incredibly interesting for many reasons.  The first and most obvious reason is because how on earth would the Creature know about the story of Adam and Eve?  It seems that he has rapidly grown intellectually and I, personally, would like to know how he came to be so informed on a topic such as this.  The other reason I find this allusion particularly interesting is because I feel it is the Creature's way of asking Victor to forgive him.  Everyday mankind sins, yet God is always willing to forgive us.  Similarly, the Creature probably knows that he has done wrong, yet hopes that Victor will look past his faults and love him for who he is.  Everyone deserves to be forgiven, even if he or she is an ugly and disgusting monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment