Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein - Misery Made Me A Fiend

"I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend.  Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous." - The Creature, page 69.

When I read this, I realized that it was the Creature's way of admitting that he is now bad.  I almost feel sorry for him because he feels that the reason he is now the way he is is because of how everyone treated him.  Just because he is ugly and hideous does not give people the right to freak out when they see him, especially if they haven't actually gotten to know him.  (Truthfully, I would probably react the exact same way as everyone else if I saw this monster.)  However, the Creature is willing to change his ways and return to his previous, good-natured self, only if Victor agrees to listen to him and love him as his creation.  Now, although I am saying that I feel sort of bad for the Creation, I am not saying that it is acceptable for him to be violent.  If he is in fact the one that killed William, then that was totally wrong.  Even if one is being extremely bullied, that is no good reason to go out and kill people.  This is the perfect opportunity for Victor to fix the problem he has created.  If Victor can show love and compassion to the Creature, the the Creature will stop being violent.

No comments:

Post a Comment