Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Feeling Alone

"They had forgotten me, but Daisy glanced up and held out her hand; Gatsby didn't know me now at all.  I looked once more at them and they looked back at me, remotely, possessed by intense life.  Then I went out of the room and down the marble steps into the rain, leaving them there together." - Nick Carraway, page 96.

This is the point in the story when I felt the most sympathy for Nick.  He thought he had a friend in Gatsby, but to me it looks as if Gatsby was only using him to get to Daisy.  It says that Gatsby didn't know him anymore.  Once he got what he wanted, Gatsby totally forgot about Nick.  Now, Nick is left without anyone.  The rain symbolizes his loneliness.  Once he leaves the house and leaves two of the people he was most close to, he feels utterly deserted.  However, there is still Jordan and hopefully this is just a temporary feeling he has.  Maybe Gatsby will come to his senses and realize what a good friend Nick was to him.  After all, he did reunite him with his former love.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, so far I have sympathized with Gatsby the most. I agree that Nick is kind of alone, but he does have his small group that he has visited so far and is dating Jordan. However, I feel like Nick hasn't tried reaching out to anybody else at this point in the novel. At Gatsby's party he just wandered about, not really trying to make friends, but just worrying that he didn't know anyone. Gatsby went off to war and college, and his sweetheart left him for another man. I sympathize with him because she said she would wait for him, and now he is trying to win her back from Tom.

    ReplyDelete