Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Why I really dislike Tom

"'What if I did tell him?  That fellow had it coming to him.  He threw dust into your eyes just like he did in Daisy's, but he was a tough one.  He ran over Myrtle like you'd run over a dog and never even stopped his car.'" - Tom Buchanon, page 178.

From the very beginning of the story, I never really liked Tom Buchanon.  The second half of this novel only re-enforced my feelings and pushed me into disliking him even more.  First of all, I think it's incredibly hypocritical for Tom to have had an affair with Myrtle and then become very jealous when he realized Daisy and Gatsby might be having an affair.  All of a sudden it was very wrong for anyone to ever have an affair.  To go along with this, even when it was all over, Tom still showed that he had feelings for Myrtle.  He blamed Gatsby for her death and kept saying how he didn't even stop when he hit her.  Little does he know, it was actually his own wife who killed Myrtle.  He had no sympathy for the fact that he was basically the reason for why Gatsby died.

No comments:

Post a Comment