Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein - There Is Goodness After All

"I had been accustomed, during the night, to steal a part of their store for my own consumption; but when I found that in doing this I inflicted pain on the cottagers, I abstained, and satisfied myself with berries, nuts, and roots, which I gathered from a neighbouring wood." - The Creature, page 78.

When Victor first created this monster, he felt immediately that it was evil by nature.  He did not for a second stop to wonder if it was capable of doing good.  He just assumed that the Creature was out to harm others and that it was only going to cause destruction.  The quote above proves that this assumption that Victor made is wrong.  The Creature, at the time this quote is referring to, is thinking totally for himself.  There is no one else around to tell him that if he steals the family's food, they will suffer.  No one is telling him that this is bad.  The Creature realizes all on his own that he should not steal from the family because it is inflicting pain on them.  Therefore, there is some goodness in the Creature after all.  The Creature is not evil by nature because, truthfully, it seems to me that he would much rather be good and loving than evil and destructive.  All he wants is to be loved by others.  The only reason he begins to act like a monster is because others are treating him like he is a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment