Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Dramatic Irony

"'Well, I tried to swing the wheel-' He broke off, and suddenly I guessed at the truth.  'Was Daisy driving?'  'Yes,' he said after a moment, 'but of course I'll say I was.'" - Jay Gatsby, page 143.

This moment is a great example of dramatic irony.  Tom Buchanon believes that Gatsby is the one who killed his mistress.  However, it was actually his own wife who killed Myrtle.  My next question is how on earth Tom would react if he found out that Daisy killed her.  He might become violent.  Tom already showed that he has a violent side to him when he beat up Myrtle.  Who knows what he would actually do when he found out that Daisy killed her, even if it was a complete accident.  The other thing I thought was important to note is how much Gatsby loved Daisy.  He was willing to take the blame for killing someone in order to protect her.  However, Daisy doesn't really love him back in the same way.  When Gatsby dies, she doesn't even visit him at his funeral.  Basically, Gatsby was willing to protect someone he loved even though she would never do the same for him.

2 comments: